Chlorine is a highly effective disinfectant. It kills bacteria, germs, and viruses to purify water. However, the taste and odor of chlorine, and its unintended byproducts can make water unpalatable. Removing chlorine using a point-of-use filtration system is an ideal way to improve the quality and aesthetics of your drinking water.
Under sink water filters with a Granular Activated Carbon (GAC) filter can eliminate 98-99% of the chlorine in water. The activated carbon dechlorinates the water by adsorbing the chlorine onto the surface of the filter. Catalytic GAC filters can also effectively remove chloramine.
This article will describe chlorine and how it enters the water supply, how people are exposed to it, and its harmful effects. It will also describe how an under-sink water filter may eliminate chlorine and suggest 7 such filters.
Do under-sink water filters remove Chlorine?
Chlorine is a pale greenish chemical element, and it is a flammable gas. It is used in the production of medicines, pesticides, and plastics. It is mostly used as an oxidizing agent in water disinfection processes and as a component of bleaches.
Many people drink water with high levels of chlorine added to it to kill bacteria and viruses.
Why we should remove chlorine from our water
Some people think chlorine in drinking water makes them feel better, but research shows this is false. Chlorine is simply a powerful disinfectant. It kills many harmful organisms that may cause people to get sick.
However, it has also been shown that chlorine in drinking water can be linked to cancer.
While chlorination is the most common type of drinking water disinfection, reactions between mostly chlorine-based disinfectants and organic and inorganic compounds in source waters may cause unintended disinfection byproducts (DBP).According to epidemiology studies, the risk of bladder cancer increases with exposure to DBPs (such as trihalomethane).
The DBPs produced by the reaction between chlorine and other organic materials can have a negative influence on health in the long run.
According to the Department of Health in New York State, chlorine and its byproducts can cause-
- sore throats,
- Eye & skin irritation,
- A variety of cancers, including bladder and rectal cancers.
Chlorine has been shown to irritate when you put it on skin. People with sensitive skin can get rashes on their faces, arms, hands, and feet.
Many people complain about the taste of water that has been treated with chlorine. Chlorine lasts longer in the water pipe, which makes the taste and odor worsen.
Fortunately, it is safe to remove chlorine from drinking water. To get rid of chlorine from your tap water, you can use an under sink water filter. These types of filters are relatively easy to install, efficient, and they are affordable.
How under sink water filters remove chlorine
An under-sink filter that is certified or tested against the National Sanitation Foundation certification standard 42 (NSF-42) has proved that it can remove chlorine from the water.
There are three types of under sink filters:
- Single stage
- Two stage
- Three stage
Almost all under sink filters (1, 2 or 3-stage) use activated carbon. The granular activated carbon (GAC) contained within the filter is responsible for removing most of the chlorine from water (up to 99%).
It is important to note, that chloramine is more efficiently removed by catalytic GAC – with many brands now offering this in their under sink filters to ensure the removal of chlorine and chloramine.
Two stage filters consist of two chambers; one is a carbon filter, and the other is usually a resin filter (although sometimes it is a simple sediment filter). The carbon filter removes chlorine that is dissolved in the water. The resin filter removes chlorine that is attached to particles.
The third filter in three stage under sink systems is often specific to the brand, some use Copper-Zinc to oxidize/reduce contaminants in water, while others use bone char to remove fluoride, or patented technologies to improve the removal of all contaminants.
An under sink water filter is the ideal option if your household uses more drinking water per day than two or three gallons. With under sink systems, filtered drinking water is available immediately; there is no need to wait for the filtering process to complete.
Under-sink water filters typically go through the following filtration stages:
- Water first passes through an initial filter. This filter removes the quantity of bigger debris, such as sand, rust or soil.
- Then the water is subsequently filtered with activated carbon. In this phase, problems like the bad tastes and odors brought on by too much chlorine are addressed.
- After that, high-pressure water is applied to the sub-micron filtration. Many more pollutants are blocked by this barrier. Finally, you’ll get chlorine-free fresh drinking water. These filters can improve taste, change water pH levels, and do other things depending on the system.
How much chlorine can an under-sink water filter remove?
Filters that are NSF-42 certified have demonstrated they can remove:
- Chlorine: Reduce 99%
- Chloramine: Reduce more than 97.5%
- Particulate Class I: Reduce more than 99%
The top 6 best under-sink water filters that remove chlorine
1. Clearly Filtered Under Sink water filter
Clearly Filtered is one of the most effective under-sink water filtration systems, which can remove 98.6% of chlorine and 95.3% of chloramine from water.
More than 232 contaminants can be removed by this 3-stage cutting-edge under-sink filtering system, including heavy metals, pollution, and chemicals.
- The first stage is a coconut carbon prefilter that removes all the sediments, particles, and chlorine.
- The second stage eliminates herbicides, pesticides, and heavy metals.
- The final stage removes the superior level of fluoride.
Type: Under Sink
Chlorine Reduction: 98.6%
NSF: 42, 53, 401
- Installation is simple and suitable for any sink.
- Built with portability and space-saving features for both homeowners and renters.
- As its filter life is 2000-gallon, changing the filter once a year is enough for household uses.
- Very little maintenance. Cartridges for replacement filters that twist on and off.
- No excess wastewater would need to be remineralized.
- It is 100% BPA-free.
- High-quality filters used are constructed in the USA.
2. Epic Smart Shield under sink water filter
With Epic Smart Shield under-sink system, 95.5% of chlorine and chloramine is efficiently removed. In fact, 99.99% of over 70 known tap water contaminants are removed using an eco-friendly coconut carbon block filter media.
The Epic Smart Shield filter has been carefully tested and certified at least 651 gallons by IAPMO, an organization recognized by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI).
That indicates that at Gallon #651, the Epic Smart Shield keeps removing 99.99% of the 70+ pollutants, showing no sign of filtration degradation.
Type: Under sink water filter
Certified by: IAPMO, ANSI
- Made in the USA.
- 100% recyclable, replaceable and BPA-free.
- Average filter replacement is typically advised per year.
- Globally recognized independent certification in both field and lab exams
- It can maintain the integrity of naturally occurring minerals, including calcium, magnesium, and potassium.
3. Crystal Quest SMART Classic Under Sink Water Filter
With the Crystal Quest SMART Classic Under Sink Water Filter, you get the adsorption power of coconut shell activated carbon combined with Eagle Redox Alloy to effectively remove more than 98% chlorine.
To treat chlorine and chloramines as well as these byproducts, all Crystal Quest GAC is an integrated blend of coconut shell and catalytic GAC. The 6-stage water purification can remove all the impurities easily.
Type: Under sink water filter
Certified by: IAPMO, R&T
- Better filtration results from longer contact times.
- Can easily install and wash.
- Designed to give 10,000 gallons of water conveniently.
- Includes a beautiful faucet and all required installation hardware.
4. Waterdrop Under Sink Water Filter
This Under Sink Filter by Waterdrop is a great way to keep water safe and pure. It will filter out all the impurities like chlorine, taste and odor, rust, sediment, and other heavy metals.
- The system includes a polyester membrane in the first stage, reducing sediment and particles.
- The second stage is activated carbon block, which reduces chlorine and odor.
- The third stage includes KDF, which prevents the emergence of dangerous chemicals.
The under-counter water filter system also retains minerals essential to your body, such as potassium, calcium, sodium, and magnesium.
Type: Under sink/RV/Bathroom
Certified by: NSF, WQA, IAPMO
- Its compact, slim design looks stunning and saves significant space.
- Installation and replacing the filter are straightforward.
- It has a lifespan of 8000, 16000, or 24 000 gallons, or 12, 24, or 36 months when used with municipal water.
- The WQA has fully certified premium lead-free materials following NSF/ANSI 372 standards.
- Materials free of BPA are also guaranteed.
- High filtration efficiency and a constant water flow are features of the filtration system.
5. Frizzlife MK99 Under Sink Water Filter
These eco-friendly Frizzlife Mk99 Under Sink Water filters can retain all necessary minerals while removing more than 99.99% of pollutants.
Eliminates heavy metals, VOCs, chlorine (99%), lead (99%), and much more. It also eliminates unpleasant tastes, smells, and turbidity.
The system installs in less than 3 minutes for its quick change twist-in design. An internal shut-off valve was included in the filter cap’s construction. You can swap out the cartridge without turning off the water supply. IAPMO R&T has evaluated the entire system compared to NSF/ANSI 42/53.
Your everyday drinking water safety is guaranteed by certified filtration capacity.
Type: Multi-usage under sink filter
Certified by: NSF/ANSI 42/53
- Ultra slim design and easy to install.
- The maximum flow rate is 2 GPM.
- The future cost is less as the cartridge price is only $19.99.
- Using the IMC-2 ice maker kit, you can put the purified water from MK99 into your refrigerator or icemaker.
6. Pentair FreshPoint Easy Flow Under Counter Filter
The FreshPoint Easy Flow Under Counter Filter by Pentair is certified to lessen lead, cysts, and chlorine tastes and odors. It can efficiently remove 79.7% of the chlorine in water. Its compact size is perfect for apartments, condos, and small homes.
The water that enters the system passes through a pleated wrap that is wrapped around the carbon filter. It is done to reduce the amount of silt entering the system and prevent the block from becoming clogged too quickly. The cartridge’s lifespan will be increased as a result of this procedure.
The indicator light will flash red when it is time to replace the filter cartridge.
Type: Under sink water filter
Certified by: NSF-42,53
- Reduce all impurities, chlorine taste, and odors.
- Easy installation and maintenance.
- It has a premium flow capacity.
- It is certified by NSF-42,53.
Do sink filters remove chlorine?
In the United States, 86 percent of households get their water from municipal sources, which means most have chlorinated tap water. A water purification system with an activated carbon filter certified by NSF-42 can remove 98-99% chlorine. A great way to remove chlorine from water is to use activated carbon.
Are under-the-sink water filters worth it?
Under sink water filters are definitely an excellent investment if you’re going to be spending a lot of time at home. There’s no way to put a price tag on good health, especially when you have kids.
It’s worth buying an under-sink water filter for the following reasons-
- The filters help improve the taste of your tap water.
- They are easy to install.
- They remove the mineral content of tap water.
- They are easy to clean.
- You can choose from different filter types depending on your needs.
- They are less expensive.
- You can reduce chlorine and fluoride from your drinking water.
- Installation doesn’t require the expertise of a plumber.
What is the best type of under-sink water filter?
The best under-sink water filters are those which has
- 3-stage filtration including granular activated carbon.
- Can install and replace easily.
- Certified by NSF-42, WQA, and IAPMO.
- Provide clean water instantly.
- Have speedy water flow.
So, the best option would be to use an under-sink water filter that possesses all of these features. You can buy any model from our list of the top 7 best water filters that fit under your sink.